Wednesday, August 3, 2011

10 years already!


Saturday was my 10 year High School Reunion and I had the best time. The venue for the reunion was a super cool rooftop right on Broadway. Nashville Music City everywhere. The views from the rooftop were fantastic!

We had about 250 in our graduating class and we had maybe 28 people show up for the reunion. I had so been looking forward to seeing more folks. Maybe it was the price of tickets, maybe it was because it was located above a bar, maybe it because quite a few have small children, maybe it was because of the easy access to catching up with folks on facebook and not actually having face to face contact. I don’t know. I have seriously wondered why more people didn’t attend. I tried my best to speak to every person there and take a photo of every person there. I missed a few. Literally I saw one girl get off the elevator, I walked by her, came back later wanting to say hey and she had left. I asked one girl where someone (we’ll call him J) was and she told me he had changed his mind about coming. I then asked about another friend who wasn’t there and she replied that he was actually the one that talked J into not coming because it was “lame”. (Insert sad Shelby face here)

Apparently I’m lame. I know everyone has their reasons. I can’t say I loved High School but I can’t say I hated it either. I can say that many of the things that happened in that 4 years helped make me the person that I am today. While eating dinner with some classmates I told someone that I could care less if people are successful, a stay at home mom, or whatever. I just hoped that they were all happy. I know lame. I’m terribly lame for wanting to see that. It doesn’t matter what they are doing. Take me for example, I’ve spent 8 of the last 10 years in school. I’ve only been gainfully employed in my profession for 2 years. Some folks have been working and making money for the past 6-10 years, bought homes, built homes. I haven’t done that. Some people have been lucky enough to spend time at home with their little ones or travel around. To me it really didn’t matter at all. I know… Lame. Or as Dusty Collins Hudgins would have said “LOSER!” (Dusty you cracked me up). Maybe it is the ability to see whom you want on facebook. Know about their jobs and families, but avoid actual face to face interaction.

None the less I had a great time. I look forward to the next one. The classmates I did see appeared to be doing well. Most of us hadn’t changed much. We were supposed to pick someone who had changed the most, but I had a really hard time picking anyone. I know I have a good extra 20 lbs (thanks Margaux!) but for the most part I look the same. I have my fingers crossed the next 10 years are as good to all of us as the past 10!

Jovanna and I at High School Graduation

May 2001

Jovanna and I 10 years later
July 2011


0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting