Monday, October 12, 2009

Proud moments from the weekend

Saturday some friends and I participated in the race for the cure in Nashville. We were a part of the team "Myra's Milers" which was formed in honor of a friend from college's Aunt who passed away less than two years ago. I myself have had two Aunts that had breast cancer and have passed away, so I was thrilled to be able to join the team and participate this year. The event was really great, and if I'm correct, "Myra's Milers" was the largest team and ended up raising the most money. I thoroughly enjoyed the Race for the Cure, the weather was a little gloomy but it was nice and cool. I finished the 5K in around 30 minutes. I didn't really time it, but it was in that area. Honestly I haven't been running as much as I used to, but I ran the whole thing, and I'm not too sore today. Now I did tweak my back Sunday, but that is a whole different story and totally un-race related.

A few weeks ago my dad blessed our goats and sheep with a new dwelling.

They absolutely love it. We couldn't even get the roof screwed down before they were in it. This one will be much better in the colder months that are to come. It will keep the wind off of them and give them more protection from the elements. They have already gotten an upgrade on their house.






They got a front porch. Actually this abomination was our front porch up until last weekend. I kid you not, this was actually the unsightly entrance to our house. It looks just fine for goats to stand and poop on, but it did not look very nice on our house. It was old, it had nails that would work their way out of it. It was too small for Matt and I to even stand next to each other.



This is our new front porch, and I love it. We added about a foot and a half to each side. It also comes out much further. Not only can we stand next to each other on the porch, but we can stand next to each other on the steps if we want too. I put the finishing touches on it this weekend by painting the wood framing under the composite decking. We still have a lot of work to do to make the house more presentable, but this is a huge improvement. Another improvement you can see is the tin roof we had put on this summer. Apparently the pitch of our roof is really low, and every time a big storm came through (which we have had a lot this year) I would walk around in the yard and pick up shingles that flew off the roof and of course there was the leaking that would follow. Matt did a great job on porch, and we only yelled at each other once during the project.

 

Template by Best Web Hosting