Tuesday, April 6, 2010

No more nasty carpet

Thanks to the hard work of my family we now have hardwood floors in our house. Nice, clean, new hardwood. No more smelly, nasty, dingy carpet.

My Dad is one of the hardest working people I've ever met in my life. I'm serious... the man is an insane machine. He takes few brakes and pounds away. He is amazing. With his guidance, Matt, my mom, my father-in-law and even I (yes, I handed wood and ran the saw, even though my mother kept griping at me for even bending/squatting down. In my mind, if I ever quit, I won't be able to do it anymore.) We were able to put down a little under 700 sq foot of bamboo hardwood flooring in our house and it looks wonderful. It looks so good, Matt and I don't want to put our crap back in there.

We did run into issues. We were surprised to find that our subflooring had rotted to the point it was unsafe and had to be replaced. In fact, my parents dachshund fell through it once it was exposed from under the carpet. The actual support beams under one of the doors had even rotted out. But all got fixed and looks great.
*side note- if you buy a door from a salvage place, check it over really well. We saved over $100.00 on the new door, but the handle was cut out in the wrong place, and now I'm worried about leprechauns having too e
asy of an access point to our house:)

I realized after we got started I had not taken
any before shots of the project, but here is our TV room before and after.

Before


After

1 comments:

Your Favorite Redhead said...

ha. i like the legs in both pictures.

 

Template by Best Web Hosting