Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The girls night project

* disclaimer* I did not come up with this idea on my own. I borrowed and modified from some websites.

I hosted girls night this month. I don't usually have people over to my house. It's small, it's laid out funny, it's pretty far away from most of my other friends homes, and I've been in law school for the past few years of my life, so housekeeping took a backseat.

Anyhow, I had the idea to make a craft and here are the bright wreaths we made. This is mine, but everyone made their own, and it was really neat to see how each one was different. I should have taken pictures of everyone's finished products.

Step One: I cut burlap into 2 inch strips that were wrapped around a wreath form and secured with hot glue. It took about 3 strips to completely cover a 10 inch foam wreath (which I purchased from the Dollar Tree for $1 a piece! Score!).


Step two: I got all the odd sized fabric straps I had and cut them into various sized circles. They don't have to be perfect in shape or size. Some were 2 inches in diameter, some were 1 inch, some were 1/2 inch, it didn't matter you needed an assortment.

Step three: I arranged the scrap circles on top of each other and pierced through them with a straight pin. This will secure it to your fully covered plain burlap wreath. The pin should not stick through, unless you get too close to the bottom of the wreath. I used pinking shears to add a little variety as well as folded up some of the circles into triangles to change it up a bit. Try not to over think it too much, just play with the scraps. Some girls twisted their circles and they looked really cute. Another friend of mine (who happens to be an art teacher) crinkled and bunched all of hers up and left none of the circles flat. It was super cute too! Tie a ribbon around it to hang it by and presto, your done.
One of the girls mentioned she was inspired to make a Fourth of July wreath for her house now. I totally like this idea (seeing that I have about 5 left over prepared plain ones). I'm now on the look out for some bigger wreaths that could be hung on the front door.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting