Friday, August 14, 2009

Holy Sheep!

So the one of my previous blog post said that you might see my husband walking around. Well my husband read it and looked at the pictures and said, "I wasn't in any of those pictures". Therefore, I must clarify and post some that do contain my much neglected Husband :) It was a good show and Matt was a great assistant judge. My Father-in-law was a super great judge. And of course at the end of the day we brought home our two bossy, yet sweet, sheep. The show was held at the sleigh farm out near our house. They run H & S farms, a pick your own strawberry operation, in the spring and early summer. If you have never come out there for it you really should. This year not only could you pick your own strawberries, but you could buy strawberry cake, strawberry jam, and they also worked out a deal with Coldstone Creamery and had strawberry ice cream!

* sorry about the dotted out kids faces, but you could recognize some of them.

The little kids really liked showing their lambs. Of course some of the lambs acted up, jumping, kicking, trying to run off and dragging the little kids behind, but they really tried their hardest to keep control. I had no idea that these lambs are around 100 lbs and stout. You have tiny kids trying to control a farm animal on a leash. I have a hard time holding our sheep and at least I out weigh them. Years ago, Matt won the top showmanship award when he was just a wee little guy. Apparently his lamb acted up. She drug him all over the ring. Literally he fell and was dragged through sawdust and dirt by a 100+ pound runaway beast. He said when she stopped he stood up, dusted her off and cleaned her up, walked her back over to the judges and positioned her for them to observe her body composition. Then once they were finished, cleaned himself off. He said he cried he was so terrible embarrassed, but he ended up winning, because he made his lamb a priority, regained control, and showed well… good showmanship.

These kids work so much with the lambs and I know that it must have been hard to let go of them at the end of the day. I'm 26 years old and I would have probably shed some tears when they sold off the lamb to well… you know… market. But that is how the program works. Except for Hannah and Sally Pearl of course.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting