Sunday, August 9, 2009

The journey to the "Great Pumpkin"

So I was planning on having a new little installment on my blog. My attempt to grow some pumpkins for this fall. Some post will just be pictures of the progress. We have planted some jack-o-latern pumpkins and some ornamental miniature white ones called "baby boos". Exciting stuff, I know. I'm sure you will be on the edge of your seat. I mean, while other people are talking about American Idol, Jon & Kate, Grey's, etc. You're going to be wondering about our pumpkins. :) Hey, at least it is probably more exciting than this never ending Michael Jackson/Steve McNair saga.

Anyhow...

Last year we threw some out when we planted the rest of the garden in early summer. We did manage to grow some pumpkins, but they were ready at the beginning of August and of course were mush by September. This year I did some research and I want to try some of the things that I have gathered from the wise ol' internet.

Here are some of the first signs of life that have emerged. I was so thrilled. I ran out and took pictures. Apparently I wasn't the only one that was thrilled because the rabbits found and ate some of the sprouts, as well as some of the leaves. We bought this horribly smelly liquid fence and so far I haven't noticed any more nibbling.



Until next time... dun...dun... da...?!?!?

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting