Friday, November 14, 2008

GoodbiPod

Well, my iPod has shuffled off its moral coil. I took it to the genius bar and the technician said, that it could be fixed. BUT… it would be about $40 shy of the cost of a new iPod, so looks like I know what I’m getting from Matt for Christmas!!!

Anyhow, this has made me pretty sad. I decided to write a little something to it as I wish it farewell.

Dear Nano,

We’ve had some great times together, you and I. When I first got you I vowed to take really good care of you and your treating technician told me today that your diagnosis is grave. I asked what I had done to break you. And the tech man’s answer was “use it… a lot.” So first off, I’d like to thank you for your service.

You were there for that very first ½ marathon in Memphis, TN. It was seriously cold that day. And I was questioning why a sane person pays money to run in 38 degree weather. You kept me going for that first 13.1 mile adventure. When my body was aching, my crappy shoes had failed me, my ankles were screaming at me for subjecting them to such punishment, you kept playing and tried to bring on beats of encouragement.

During the training, you filled those hours with song. Occasionally, I would sing out loud. You didn’t judge me for my schizophrenic choice in music. We were Golddiggers with Kanye, we were from the Boondocks with Little Big Town, we were Fergalicious, we had a Little Less Conversation with Elvis, and the list goes on and on.

You were an imperative part of my performance in the second ½ marathon in Nashville. The course was brutal, my goodness the hills. But I turned out my best time and felt pretty good at the end. I could not have done it without you!

You were there when patellar tendinitis struck. You were there when Ashley and I were idiots running in the rain, or wrapped up like Muslims and running in the freezing cold. I’m sure you were glad when we came to our senses about the cold.

At the Homecoming 5 K we were defeated by Matt. That stinker stayed on our tail the whole time and then shimmed right on ahead of us.

We ran our last ½ marathon together last December. Memphis was so much more fun the second time around. We had accomplished so much in that time. You know they had tried to ban you from being there because of the events at the Chicago Marathon. But I said there was no way they were taking my musical motivation away from me, no way.

When school became more demanding and we couldn’t spend time together running, you stepped it up. With your help, I was able to secure an “A” in agency and partnership. I listened to those study guides while grocery shopping, biking with Matt, rocking away on an elliptical, climbing stairs to no where on the stairmaster, or pounding the pavement on a run when I could. I really wish you could have hung on till the bar exam next summer.

Thanks for the memories, and assistance for the past few years.

1 comments:

Rebecca said...

i feel your pain...i dread the day my iPod dies. it has by far been ONE of the best presents EVER!!!

 

Template by Best Web Hosting