Monday, March 23, 2009

Hunka-hunka- burning crumbs!

I love a light, full of fiber, English muffin in the morning. In fact, I have one almost every day. The particular brand of muffins I like have this gritty cornmeal type coating on the bottom, and they tend to fall off and collect in the crumb catcher.

Yesterday, when I heard the toaster oven ding, I noticed a bit of smoke billowing from the glass door on the front. I opened it up to find a flame roaming around the bottom of the toaster oven engulfing all the little gritty crumbs. I holler, “Fire! Fire!” and Matt quickly appears in the kitchen. The flame was almost through consuming the little grits, so it had died down quite a bit. I looked at Matt and asked if I should but some water on it. Matt said, “NO, NO, NO! You never use water to but out a fire when it is coupled with electricity [toaster]. Pour salt on it.” I grabbed the salt, shook, and the flame went out. I told Matt that he was my hero, and that he had saved me. And I know this is a little over kill, but really he just might have. I say this because, if it ever happens in the future I know never to go to the water (like I wanted to in this instance, because it was my first reaction). Always remember Baking soda for a grease fire (but don’t store it above the stove or you may not be able to reach it in an emergency) and maybe I little salt next to the toaster.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting