Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Quilting... yes, I'm a young old lady!

Well, I have made my first attempt at quilting. It’s so sad annoying how we learn more from trying and making mistakes, than we do when we have an immediate success.

In my novelty to the trade, I thought that I should use this fabric that had stripes so that I could use the lines to guide me. Great in theory, but in reality, I noticed every little flaw in my cutting. A stripe would be wide, then narrow, then wide again. DANG!!! Also, I totally under estimated how much of a pain it would be to make sure that all the stripes went the same direction. And speaking of pain, Oh my God my fingers. I seriously tortured them I little bit. And every time I wanted to say that my “fingers hurt”, I had a flash to this scene in Happy Gilmore.

""

I totally feel her pain, but it’s still funny.

I purchased the things I needed as I went, and I’m pretty sure that I should have done things in a different order. When it came time to hand quilt the layers, I needed a quilting frame. I went to two different places on this side of town looking for one. One of the places I went was a “Quilting Shop” and the lady told me they didn’t carry them. I felt like saying, “I’m sorry I thought I came into a quilting shop”. Anyhow, I borrowed one from my Grandmother.

So here is my Christmas-y little quilt. I didn’t intend for it to look so Holiday appropriate it just turned out that way. And just to ward off the questions, there is no “with child” news. Its small because my Grandmother told me to start small for a while. But it is pretty perfect for a baby, and I’m going to put it in my cedar chest until that time comes. I’m going to piddle with a few more small ones before I take on a big project. I’ve already purchased the fabric for my next one. No stripes.

See what I mean about the stripes. Such a pain!


Here's the backHere is an up close of the back

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

good job. i'm so with you that i wished it were instant success..that way time and materials dont' seem to be wasted.

The Jenkins Family said...

Wow! I am impressed. I think it looks great! And, yes, it would be perfect for a little one :)

 

Template by Best Web Hosting