Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Stamp of Approval

So I was recently at a sorority thingy, where the college age girls and the alumni get together and have a meal and talk a bit about what has been going on. Well, while I was eating and meeting a very nice girl that just moved to town, one of the young’ins noticed that another youngin was talking about her at another table. And as these scenarios usually play out, the talker noticed that she and her conversation had been noticed. And she replys to the noticer, “We’ve decided we like your hair cut. We approve.” And then I realized just how grateful I was to be the person I am now.

I’d like to think that I wasn’t the type of girl in college that cared about others approval, but I’m sure I was to an extent. I remember a particular comment about open toed shoes after Labor Day that wasn’t appreciated by a sister. But I also remember the person making the comment knew exactly whose buttons she could push and did so frequently to many. I like to think back then I sought approval on bigger issues. I’d also like to think I’ve outgrown it. But I’d be lying if I didn’t ponder for a moment about what someone else might think of what I’m doing. In actuality it doesn’t matter. The decisions that I/we’ve made have always been for the purpose of doing what is best for my little family. We don’t own our own home (therefore we don't have a mortgage), I’ve been in school forever, and Matt went back to school full time. I’ve brushed off a few snide remarks made by some. But all in all, we have a plan, a big picture for our family, and very few people’s approval is desired.

Ahhh, the difference a few years makes.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting