Thursday, September 24, 2009

I’ve learned my lesson about peppers!

Last year we had an abundance of jalapeño peppers from our garden. Matt made and canned salsa. I pickled some. I also learned how the make pepper jelly. Well this year the jalapenos didn't do as well, but we do have quite a few habanera peppers. I wanted to make some jelly again so that I could use it as a glaze for some chicken or pork. So last night I picked a few and got a new recipe to try that added apple juice in with the peppers. The recipe said to wear glove, something the recipe I followed last year also told me to do. I hadn't done it last year, and things went just fine, so I proceeded on gloveless last night too. I made the jelly, canned it, processed it, I washed my hands repeatedly and religiously, sat down to watch TV and work on a sewing project. Then the heat. My fingers turned red, and burned. So I washed them. It didn't quit, so I washed them again. Bed time came, so I washed my burning hands again and then made a huge mistake. I took out my contact lens. Holy Jesus! What was I thinking?!?! I lay in bed weepy and red eyed, squeezing my blazing hands. I got up and washed them again. Matt asked me to scratch his back and I told him that was probably a really bad idea. I woke up through out the night because of my burning hands.

This morning I woke up to my hands STILL tingling. It was that tingling/stinging sensation you have right after a slap. I did not even attempt to put in my contacts, for fear of being blinded. And at around noon today I noticed my hands were back to normal. I'm in no rush to try my blazing concoction and I'm seriously considering tossing those lens a little early.

I also got to thinking of all the clever names they have for hot sauces and levels of heat when you order hot wings. I thought I would probably name mine something like "don't taze me bro" after my whole little experience.

1 comments:

Your Favorite Redhead said...

i think "don't taze me, bro" is a fabulous name for level of heat.

 

Template by Best Web Hosting