Thursday, September 17, 2009

Yard sale legal advice and 2nd graders

As mentioned, last weekend my friend and I had a yard sale. Yard salers are such a weird mix of folks. If I hadn't been one of the people deciding prices and what not, I might have enjoyed the people watching.

Well one gentleman asked my friend what she did for a living. I heard the question and began to coil up against the wall where I was sitting, hoping and praying that no one would notice me and I could fly under the radar for a few moments. And I did, at least for a few moments. I thought I had escaped this one, but then my friend (who is very proud of me) piped out, "She's a lawyer."

DAMN IT! I'd been outed, and I braced myself for possible bombardment. I got lucky. The first words were not, "my baby daddy", "It's not me, but I got a friend who…", "My brother/sister/cousin is getting a divorce and…", or "blah, blah, blah, blah… and can they do that?". He asked about probating an estate in Kentucky so I got out really easy. I was able to say I had not received my bar exam results yet, and I only took it for the state of Tennessee. So I didn't know anything about Kentucky, and I couldn't answer any questions. AWESOME!!! I wish I were so lucky every time. Most the time I feel like Jerry Springer has descended upon me.

In other news, Matt substituted for a 2nd grade class this week. He had a good time. But he explained that it felt like someone took some chalk, drew a box on the ground, and then dumped out a bag of kittens and told him to make sure they stayed in the box. He also said that they all had to go pee, and everyone's stomach hurt after lunch. I told him this afternoon my tummy hurt and he asked me if I needed to go see the nurse.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting