Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pomp and circumstance Zombie trance

Monday April 13th was my last class. 4 years ago when I began law school, I could hardly fathom the idea that there was actually a last class. I wasn’t even married when I sat down for that first class. They had told us then to look at the people on either side of you, and chances were… one of them wouldn’t be there when you graduated. I’m happy to report that just wasn’t true in my case. The person that sat to the right of me is still there (in fact, he’s my study buddy) and the person who sat to the left of me is still there (he’s had 2 kids since we began). But we have lost a few, or had some drop back.

I can remember quite a few in fact that are gone. There was one guy that was great comic relief. Everyday we would ask him if he had prepared for a nonexistent quiz, and watch his reaction. Then there was the guy that got called on by the same teacher every single class to brief a case and he was never prepared. There was the girl that always showed up in pajamas and left class directly after signing the role. There was the girl that had watched legally blonde one too many times; and came in wearing a midriff shirt and stiletto heels (she lasted exactly ONE class). There was the frat boy I went to college with, and the girl I played basketball against in High School (both were gone by Christmas). There was a very cute, very pregnant girl that sat in the back row. And many more.

Monday night I also picked up my cap and gown. And people keep asking me if I’m excited about my classes being over. The answer, very sadly is yes, BUT… it doesn’t feel like its over. I do take great pleasure in that I will never drive back up to Nashville and sit in class from 6:30 til 10:00 at night. But this milestone lacks finality. I’m still studying for my one final, although I’m seriously struggling in the motivation department. I have the Bar Exam coming up at the end of July (and if I don’t pass that, then things will get pushed back yet again.). I have 6 weeks of bar prep lectures to attend, as well as, countless hours of studying ahead. I just keep trying to tell myself to give it all I have the first time, and hopefully I won’t have to repeat.

There is one change this is coming that I’m excited about. I’ll be quitting my job for the summer. This way I’ll do the bar prep course and study during the day; and relax, rest, exercise, etc. in the evenings. Hopefully this will allow me to gather myself for the Bar exam and hopefully not wear myself out. What ever happens, I’ve still got that relief of knowing I will not have to sit in class, sign attendance, study for mid-terms and finals, OR buy books and pay tuition any more.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting